One of the curries prepared in our villages. It has a lovely earthy taste and brings back memories of childhood. :).
- Beans of any kind like halsande kaalu
- Veggies like padvalkayi, potato, brinjal, either one or combo
- Garlic - 7to 8 cloves
- Black pepper whole - 1 tsp
- Green or red chillies - 3 to 4
- Coconut - about half a medium sized
- Oil- 3 to 4 tspns
- Curry leaves- a sprig
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds - 1 tspn
- Milk- half a glass
- Hing - a pinch
- Soak the beans for 2 hours and cook in a pressure cooker for 2-3 whistles
- Cook the veggies separately with a bit of salt.
- Grind the coconut, pepper,garlic and chillies to a paste
- Heat the oil in a pan. Season with mustards seeds, hing and curry leaves.
- Add the ground paste and stir and cook well to get rid of the raw smell.
- Add the cooked veggies and beans and adjust the water. Bring to a good boil and continue cooking for 3- 4minutes. Finally, add the milk and switch off after a boil.
- Serve hot with rice.