Lazy Sunday noon having Ghee rice and chicken curry by my Mom are very comforting childhood memories for me even todate.Mmmm... the aroma would kindle anyone's taste buds. To end the lunch with a store bought jilebis /jahangir would just be perfect. I am so happy to see that my otherwise picky 5 year old and my sweet 3 year old also relish this equally. I make this Ghee rice in two ways depending on how much time i have.The easier version i post below, while the more time consuming one i will post in the near future. The former one is equally good but the latter is more rich because of the coconut milk added to it.
I hope this stays as a pleasant childhood memory for my kids as it has to me.
- 1 1/2 cup rice(preferably jeergsamba variety)
- 2Tblspn refined Peanut/Sunflower oil
- 2 Tblspn Ghee
- 1 heaped Tblspn green chilli, ginger and garlic paste(all the more better if made fresh)
- 3 Cardamom
- 5 Cloves
- 2-3 small pieces Cinnamom
- 1 Large Onion
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cup milk(the regular milk that we drink:) , not the coconut milk)
- 1 1/2 cup water
- Salt to taste
- Slice the onion thin and cut them width wise once.
- Wash and soak the rice in water for 1 hour. drain and keep aside
- Heat a Heavy bottom Vessel.
- Add the ghee and oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the cloves, cinnamon and cardamom.
- Once the spices begin to give a strong aroma, add onion and cook until soft.
- Now add the green chilli-garlic-ginger paste and stir. Fry this for a few mins.
- Put in the green peas and rice and stir for 2-3 mins.
- Now add the milk , salt and water and bring the whole thing to a boil.
- Once it comes to a boil, bring the heat to LOW, stir, cover the lid tight and let cook for 8 -9 mins.
- Put off the heat. Let stand for 5 mins.
- Open the lid,stir once and serve with any coconut based Chicken gravy of your choice.
- Follow the same steps until 8. Bring to boil milk and water together in a seperate vessel.
- Preheat the oven to 350 Degree Fahrenhiet.
- Take a Baking pan of appropriate size. Add the rice mixture, pour in the hot milk and water.Add the salt. Now stir once, cover with a Aluminium foil or lid.
- Put the pan in the oven , allow to cook for 40 mins.
- Remove from Oven , stir once and serve with any coconut based Chicken gravy of your choice.