Being married to a mallu, i thought it was about time i posted some recipe from Kerala. Just in time, Rajju's elder sister mails me this simple snack recipe from Kerala. After nearly a year in US, Rajju was happy to have something like this he has been missing.Thank you Rejitha chechi!
- 1 cup Rice flour
- 2 cups Besan
- 2 tspn Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tspn Hing
- 1/4 cup Curry leaves
- Salt as per taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Take the rice flour in a bowl. Add boiling water and mix well using a spoon to make a soft dough.
- Once it cools down a little, add the Besan , salt, hing, redchilli powder and mix well to form a dough similar to chakli dough.If required, u could use some more room temperature water to make the dough.
- Take a chakli press and use the one with narrow slit which results in a tape shape.
- Heat oil in Deep botton pan(kadai).
- Now add the dough prepared in parts into the chakli press, close and press into the oil in a circular fashion so as to fill the entire surface area of the oil.
- Fry until golden brown .Remove onto a kitchen towel.
- Once cooled , break into smaller pieces and garnish with deep fried curry leaves. This also gives a good aroma.