Chilli chicken is one of the first dishes i cooked for my hubby. It was a safe dish with not too complex ingredients and would always turn out well. This semi - dry side dish has the strong flavours of garlic and chillies combined to give a great taste.
- 10-12 medium sized chicken pieces
- 2 large onions sliced thin and then cut widthwise once.
- 8 large garlic cloves crushed well(not a paste though)
- 1 tspn red chilli powder
- 1/2 tspn turmeric powder
- 2tspn Coriander (dhania) powder
- 15 green chillies slit
- 3/4 cup chopped coriander
- salt to taste
- oil 4tblspn
- Heat the oil in a thick botton pan(kadai).
- Add the garlic and fry until it begins to turn brown in colour.
- Now add the onion and cook until the onions become real soft, stirring occasionally in between.
- Add the chicken , red chilli powder, turmeric powder, dhania powder and salt.Mix all the ingredients well. Sprinkle a little water, cover the lid and allow to cook until the chicken is almost done.(Do not add more water as the chicken leaves water while cooking making it too watery.)
- Now add the green chillies and coriander , Mix well, close the lid and simmer for 5 minutes.Adding the green chillies at this stage doesn't make the dish too spicy , yet at the same time imparts a nice chilli flavour to it.
- Turn off heat and serve.